Vampire Forensics: Uncovering the Origins of an Enduring Legend

Vampire Forensics: Uncovering the Origins of an Enduring Legend - Mark Collins Jenkins I’ve liked vampires for a long time – maybe it began with Twilight (yes, I like Twilight – the books, not the movies), or with the Argeneau novels or some other source too far back in the past to be properly remembered. I loved, loved, loved Dracula and it’s the older versions of vampire tales that really interest me, back when they indicated horror more than paranormal romance. So this book immediately caught my attention.

I loved the beginning – a sort of trip through the evolution of the vampire figure in culture, from film to literature and poetry. However, this was more of a brief introduction and not really in depth enough for my liking. It then moves backwards, tracing the origin of the myth, moving through different time periods, countries and traditions.

Though it’s an extremely interesting book, it is largely disorganized. It doesn’t maintain a clear timeline, or even follow a clear topic, instead it jumps back and forth constantly, moving between mythology and folklore a bit aimlessly. It ends up not exploring any of the themes satisfyingly, but providing a wide range of information sort of jumbled together.

Still, it was an easy read, though probably best seen as more of an appetizer. I did learn quite a bit, there were many fascinating facts and stories – overall, it was a highly entertaining book, though there was much room for improvement.