The Summer I Found You

The Summer I Found You - Jolene Perry First of all LOOK AT THAT COVER. LOOK AT IT. It was my reason for picking this book, I am so in love with it, it’s so gorgeous.

I only wish the inside matched the outside. There are so many things in this book that were less than perfect. I wanted to love it – the story sounded so good, like a little more than your typical YA fluff. I wanted to see these real characters with real problems, with depth and emotion and complexity.

Instead, we get Kate. Kate is one of the most immature characters I have ever come across in YA literature. She is self-centered and childish to the extreme, disregarding consequences as well as the feelings of those around her because she’s too busy whining to notice/care. Aidan is only a slight improvement – I felt like there was so much more that could have been done with his character and his story, instead of the superficial, one-dimensional, beaten track the author chose.

Still, it was a strangely compelling story. I am a sucker for romance, and did stay up late to finish it. Though many elements fail, it was still a pretty enjoyable read, the kind you just gobble down. I think that if the author had expanded, both in length and in depth, this could have been a real winner.

As it is, it’s a light and quick YA romance, cute enough to keep you reading but not memorable enough to stay with you afterwards.